South Africa: More Marches for South Africa Planned in Australia

One of the organisers of the “March for South Africa” event in Brisbane, Australia, said that more rallies have been planned for the next month.

Arno Nel, who has been living in Australia for 17 years, said the group was happy about the number of people who supported the march on Sunday. About 2 000 people attended the march.

“The motivation for this march was to show Australia that we support [its Home Affairs Minister Peter] Dutton’s comments about visas for white South African farmers,” Nel said.

Earlier this month, Dutton sparked controversy when he said: “I think these people deserve special attention and we’re certainly applying that special attention now.”

The comments were made shortly after the National Assembly set into motion and process to allow the amendment of the Constitution to allow expropriation of land without compensation.

Diplomatic spat

His words led to a diplomatic spat between Australia and South Africa. International Relations Minister Lindiwe Sisulu later issued a diplomatic demarche, or course of action, to Australian High Commissioner in South Africa Adam McCarthy, to demand that Dutton retract his comments. (Read More)

This entry was posted in South Africa. Bookmark the permalink.